Skip to main content

Santa was good to me!

The whole concept was made easier by Santa, who brought me the Garmin GPS 60 that I wanted. I'm just starting to explore the software available with the unit.

Must say I'm disappointed with Garmin for creating software that doesn't run properly unless the user has administrator access. You'd hope that in this day and age of hackers and security conciousness that the software providers wouldn't be the ones to cause problems, but this is the second case of a corporation large enough to afford to set a good example just ignoring the problems surrounding granting administrator access to users.

The other software that forces me to grant administrator access is Sony's SonicStage software which the kids use to load their Sony MP3 players. I hate it that I have to grant administrator access to the same kid that keeps loading backgrounds and other crap from her MSN chat buddies.

While I'm on the rant, I should point out that the real fault lies in an operating system that requires such complex measures to provide what is essentially second-rate security to a fundamentally insecure and vulnerable system.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Slow progress

Well, it's been a while, but I've been making slow progress. I decided to go with QGis and GRASS because I can't find what I want in other packages. That's not to say that they're not there, but the features I'm looking for are not obvious to me, except in QGis and GRASS where I'm pretty sure I'll find what I need. Something else I've discovered in the course of a few work-related meetings in the past week; ESRI ArcGIS is giving me a vocabulary in GIS that others seem to have trouble with. I'm also finding that the tools I'm finding easily in ArcGIS are not so easy to find in any other solutions because the ESRI names are unique. Maybe just working with the other software will expand my vocabulary. Anyway, I'm finding some awkward bits in compiling everything needed for QGis. The required software includes GRASS if you want to use it, and GDAL. Problem I'm struggling with is that if you want the two to be aware of each other, they nee

A map!

Well, I've managed to download a bunch of digital elevation maps and combine them into a single raster. Then I've extracted contours. One map I've created looks like this: The problem I face now is figuring out how to extract polygons from the contour vector layers and create the lake surfaces for the maps. BTW, the reason that the contours only cover the eastern part of the map is that the contour extraction routine crashes for wider regions. I still need to go back and extract the western half and merge the two layers into a single contour coverage.